George Educational, Medical and Charitable Society (GEMS) was registered as a Charitable Society under Travancore Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Regulation Act, 1955 ( Act 12 of 1955) at Thiruvananthapuram on 21st December 1977 with Reg. No. 567/1977. The founder members are:
1. Mr. Christopher George Life Member
2. Mr. P.E. George Life Member
3. Mrs. Annamma George Life Member
4. Mrs. Christopher Mathew Ordinary Member
5. Mrs. Mathew George Ordinary Member
6. Mr. T.N. Kuriakose Honorary Member
7. Mr. T.G. Koshy Ordinary Member
The Society has a number of objectives mainly for the upliftment of the downtrodden and marginalized sections of the Society. The prominent among them are:
1. To establish and conduct educational institutions in the State of Kerala and elsewhere in India for purpose of imparting education and for that purpose acquire all assets and things and incur all expenses required for the same.
2. To establish hospitals and nursing homes in Kerala and elsewhere in India for treatment of diseases and to carry on research work relating to diseases and treatment of diseases.
3. To help the economically weaker sections of our society by giving them financial and other aid, distribution of cloth, distribution of land, providing low cost houses and safe drinking water supply, environmental sanitation service and related activities.
4. To give scholarships and other financial aid for purchase of books, payment of hostel fees etc. to deserving students of schools, colleges and universities for their educational advancement.
5. To run hostels for the benefits of deserving students and working men and women purely for social service and not for profit.
6. To carry on all kinds of social welfare activities especially for the welfare of women as well as men in Kerala or anywhere in India.
A Governing Body consisting of the following members was constituted to manage the affairs of the Society and to realize the objectives of the Society:
Governing Body Members
First Row: Mr. Thomas George (Secretary & Treasurer ), Dr. Abraham George (Member)
Second Row: Mr. Christy George (Chairman), Mrs. Omana George (Member)
The Present Governing Body Members (2013-2014) are:
1. Mr. Christopher George Chairman
2. Mr. George Thomas Secretary-cum-Treasurer
3. Mrs. Omana George Member
4. Dr. Abraham P. George Member
GEMS Foundation, Chennai chapter of GEMS was registered as a Charitable Trust in Tamil Nadu with Reg. No.480/1993. It arose out of deep concern for the plight of the millions of slum and pavement dwellers in the metro city of Chennai. To initiate social welfare activities to alleviate their misery and rehabilitate them, GEMS Foundation was established in 1993.